Propolis is the sticky resin that seeps from the buds of some trees and oozes from the bark of other trees, chiefly conifers. The bees gather propolis (bee glue) and carry it in their pollen baskets, blend it with wax flakes secreted from special glands on their abdomens.
Propolis is used to line the interior of brood cells for the queen’s laying of eggs. With its antiseptic properties, this propolis lining ensures a hospital, clean environment for the rearing of brood.
Analysis reveals that propolis consists of 55% resinous compounds and balsam, 30% beeswax, 10% ethereal and aromatic oils and 5% bee pollen. Propolis acts as protection from bacteria and viruses for the bees, also is used as antibacterial, antifungal and antibiotic for humans. Propolis offer opportunities in food technology and cosmetics.
Health benefits: -
- Activates the thymus gland and therefore strengthens the immune system
- Stimulates white blood cells
- Has a protective effect against virus infections (cold, flu, herpes), rheumatic fever, respiratory infections, inflammation
- Protects against side effect of irradiation
- Protects against damage to liver cells
- Promotes healing of sores, wounds, acne, blemishes, eczema
- Might prevent the development of cancer
- Has beneficial effect on the body’s absorption of iron, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
- Protects the body from oxygen free radical damage (Diseases associated with free radical damage include cardiovaskular diseases leading to heart attacks, strokes, neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer and Cancer as well poor liver function)
* 天然的抗生物质 - 蜂膠有100%的杀菌效果。